Monday 27 September 2010

Evaluation

I like how my storyboard turned out as each shot is different from the other and clearly demonstrates the vision of how I wanted my 8 shot journey to look. I varied my shots from Mid Shot to a Wide Shot, Close Up, High Angle shot and so on so the final product would look visually interesting. I did various things to make certain shots look more interesting, such as shooting one of the shots behind a tree where the traveller walked past to create a foreground, middle ground and background that gave the shot more depth. I also filmed the traveller's feet and legs in different shots to create more variety and intrigue at the same time. My storyboard keeps to the brief as the starting shot contains a motivation for moving forward. In my case the traveller is experiencing stomach pain but chooses to ignore it and trudges on. The next shots follow the guidelines of the traveller moving from the left side of the screen to the right, following continuity of action until the traveller stops at their chosen destination, where the traveller takes a pill and drinks a bottle of water.

I labelled and striped my tape to prevent recording footage from two separate time-codes that would only cause difficulty in the editing stage. However, during filming I forgot to rewind the tape, shooting footage from 16 minutes and on. I'd already started filming the shots I wanted so I decided to carry on, learning from this experience and knowing next time to rewind my tape back to the beginning before I start. I often rewound my tape back after filming several shots to check if they turned out well, but at one point I didn't forward the tape all the way to where I had finished recording from and ended up recording over some crucial footage. I discovered this when I came to log my footage so I had to shoot the footage again. I was in such a panic that I forgot to forward the tape once again and recorded over more footage, though what saved me this time was recording many takes of the same shot, so luckily I was still left with a good shot. I also recorded handles on each of my shots partly so I could give my partner a little time to prepare, but also because when log and capturing, it wouldn't cut part of the shot I may have need and it would be easier to cut the shots I wanted to use when it came to editing.
I used a tripod for all of my shots except for when I record the traveller's feet. Luckily I was able to keep it stable enough for when the traveller walked past although it was difficult. Having a tripod was useful to me as for one it kept the camera stable, but I was also able to set the camera at what height I wanted to while keeping it firmly in place.

Time-code is the time of footage on the tape composed of hours, minutes, seconds and frames. It was useful to me as I could write down the time a shot begun and ended on a log sheet. With this I could also log and capture the shots chosen to use on Final Cut Pro. My log sheet contained the shot number and take; for example, shot 1, take 2 or shot 8, take 4. Along with this was the time the time-code begins and when it ends. It also had the shot size, shot move and location with a brief description. Any positive or negative comments could be written down in the comments section and a tick or cross against the use section for whether or not the shot would be used. Lastly, the shot had an EDL, short for Editing Decision List where each shot is numbered according to the order the shot was to be used. I found the camera logging sheet useful to me as I could properly decide the best shots to use out of each of my takes based on my comments on them and the log and capture process moved along smoothly as I knew precisely the time-codes of each of the shots I had decided to use.

I used an editing programme called Final Cut Pro to edit my footage. First I log and captured my footage so it would transfer into my project, then I batch captured my footage so I could actually see my footage and edit it. When log and capturing, I entered the in and out time-codes of the shots I decided to use. I was happy with my final cut as each of shots showed continuity and flowed well together as the traveller walked from one side of the screen to the other in each of the shots at a consistent pace. In a couple of my shots, the traveller didn't begin walking from off screen or walk completely off screen before the next shot, although I believe it is not noticeable.
If I could do this project again, I would make sure in all of my shots the traveller began off screen and ended up off screen. I would shoot the beginning shot again as the traveller begins walking straight away, when the traveller is meant to experience brief pain before deciding to walk on. In my last couple of shots, I would match up the close up shot of the traveller digging into their bag and the following Mid Shot so that the shots matched up perfectly, because in the close up as the traveller reaches up, in the Mid Shot the traveller's hand is still in the bag when their hand is supposed to already be up.

No comments:

Post a Comment